MICROSOFT ACCESS(MS Access) is a management System offered by Microsoft. It uses the Microsoft Jet Database Engine and comes as a neighbourhood of the Microsoft Office suite of application.
Microsoft Access offers the functionality of a database and therefore the programming capabilities to make easy to navigate screens (forms). It helps you analyze large amounts of data , and manage data efficiently.
Read more:MS Excel
Important Terms and Basic Objects of MS Access
It is a file which stores the whole database. The database file is saved to your disk drive or other storage devices.
Datatypes are the properties of every field. Every field has one datatype like text, number, date, etc.
- A Table is an object which stores data in Row & Column format to store data.
- A Table is typically associated with other tables within the database file.
- Each column must have Unique name
- We also can define Primary Key during a table.
- Queries answer an issue by selecting and sorting and filtering data supported search criteria.
- Queries show a variety of knowledge supported criteria (limitations) you provide.
- Queries can pull from one or more related Tables and other Queries.
- Types of Query are often SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE.
- A form is a database object that you simply can use to make a interface for a database application.
- Forms assist you to display live data from the table. It mainly wont to ease the method of knowledge entry or editing.
- A report is an object in desktop databases primarily used for formatting, calculating, printing, and summarizing selected data.
- You can even customize the report’s look and feel.
Macros are mini programming constructs. they permit you to line up commands and processes in your forms, like, searching, moving to a different record, or running a formula.
Modules are procedures(functions) which you’ll write using Visual Basic for Applications (VBA).
MS Access Datatypes
MS Access common data types are listed below:
|Type of Data||Description||Size|
|Short Text||Text, including numbers which does not need calculation. (e.g., Mobile numbers).||Up to 255 characters.|
|Long Text||This data type is used for lengthy text or alphanumeric data.||Maximum 63, 999 characters.|
|Number||Numeric data type used for storing mathematical calculations.||1, 2, 4, 8, and 16 bytes.|
|Date/Time||Store Date/time for the years 100 through 9999.||8 bytes.|
|Currency||It allows you to store currency values and numeric data with one to four decimal places.||8 bytes.|
|Auto Number||Assign a unique number or assigned by Microsoft Access when any new record is created. Usually used as the primary key||Four bytes (16 bytes if it is set as a Replication ID).|
|Yes/No||It only stores logical values Yes and No.||1 bit|
|Attachment||It stores files, such as digital photos. Multiple files can be attached per record.||Up to 2 GB Data can be stored.|
|OLE objects||OLE objects can store audio, video, other Binary Large Objects.||Up to 2 GB data can be stored.|
|Hyperlink||Text or combinations of text and numbers stored. That text is used as hyperlink address.||Each part of a Hyperlink data type allows you to store a maximum 2048 characters.|
|Calculated||Helps you to create an expression that uses data from one or more fields.||You can create an expression which uses data from one or more fields.|
Read more: MS Word
Advantages of MS ACCESS
Here, are the pros/benefits for using MS Access application:
- Access offers a totally functional, electronic database management system in minutes.
- Easy to import data from multiple sources into Access
- You can easily customize Access consistent with personal and company needs
- Access works well with many of the event languages that employment on Windows OS
- It is strong and versatile , and it can perform any challenging office or industrial database tasks.
- MS-Access allows you to link to data in its existing location and use it for viewing, updating, querying, and reporting.
- Allows you to make tables, queries, forms, and reports, and connect with the assistance of Macros
- Macros in Access may be a simple programming construct with which you’ll use to feature functionality to your database.
- It can perform heterogeneous joins between various data sets stored across different platforms
Disadvantages of MS-ACCESS
Here, are the cons for using MS Access
- Microsoft Access is beneficial for small-to-medium business sectors. However, it’s not useful for large-sized organizations
- Lacks robustness compared to DBMS systems like MS SQL Server or Oracle
- All the knowledge from your database is saved into one file. this will hamper reports, queries, and forms
- Technical limit is 255 concurrent users. However, the real-world limit is merely 10 to 80 (depending on the sort of application which you’re using)
- It requires tons more learning and training compares with other Microsoft programs
Download office pacakge 2019 free here: Office 2019 preactivated
Read more: Powerpoint